JUNE 13, 2021
HOW TO RELEASE YOUR STRESS
Verse 4 – May you always be joyful in your life in the Lord. I say it again, rejoice!!
FOUR STRESS RELIEVERS
I. Step one: Worry about nothing.
1. Verse 6 – Do not be anxious about anything.
Amp. – Do not fret or have any anxiety.
WORRY: Assuming responsibility that God never intended for me to have.
Research on worry:
- 40% never happens
- 30% concerns the past
- 12% needless about health
- 10% petty issues
- 8% legitimate concerns
2. Matt. 6:34 – (Jesus) Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough troubles of its own.
Insight: Live one day at a time.
II. Step two: Pray about everything.
1. Verse 6b – But in everything by prayer and petition with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. Petition: Make request specific or detailed.
Phillips’s translation says, When you pray, tell God every detail of your needs.
2. I Peter 5:7 – Unload all your worries on Him since He is looking after you.
The Phillips translation says, You can throw the whole weight of your anxiety upon Him, for you are His personal concern.
Insight: No problem that is too big for God’s power or too small for God’s concern.
III. Step three: Thank God for all things.
1. Verse 6 b – In everything, with thanksgiving, again, always asking Him with a thankful heart.
2. I Thess. 5:18 – Give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.
Insight: There is always something to be grateful for regardless of our situation.
IV. Step four: Think about the right things.
1. Verse 8 – Finally, brothers, whatever is true, noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things.
The root cause of stress is the way you think.
Insight: Whatever I think about is what I’m becoming.
Verse 7 – If you do this you will experience God’s peace which is far more wonderful than the human mind can understand. His peace will keep your thoughts and your heart quiet and at rest as you trust in Christ Jesus.